Thursday 3 June 2010

Setting up Open-SSH in Ubuntu

OpenSSH

I set-up Open-SSH by installing the package ssh using the command 'sudo apt-get -y install ssh'.
I then edited the config file /etc/ssh/sshd_config to include a reference to a banner txt file, change the ssh port to 11000 and add 'UseDNS no' entry, this cures some login delays.

The banner.txt file is displayed when you first login to the machine remotely, it gives warnings about acceptable use policy etc. I chose to listen on port 11000, this has prevented a lot of login attempts on my home server.

To test the server I used a command 'scp -P 11000 file.txt jimp@mumetal:/home/jimp' from a remote machine this transferred a file.txt from the remote machine to the home directory on my machine using ssh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Defender 300tdi Lucas 10AS Alarm Immobiliser (Spider) Problems

We have a 1997 Landrover Defender 300tdi that has given immobiliser problems intermittently. I had initially fixed the fuel solenoid as we w...